"Well, it's time for another update and, while Abby is doing fine, the fact is she threw up Thursday night, which technically was right on schedule. You may remember from a previous update, the mobile vet has Abby on the anti-nausea medication with a "4 days on and 7 days off" schedule, while giving the new diet a chance to take hold.
The first cycle started on a Saturday and ended on a Tuesday and, for the four days "on", there was no vomiting, but on Thursday, day two of the "Seven days off" - she threw up. And so it went for the remaining "off" days, with Abby vomiting about every other day. As it happened, the second cycle ended on the Tuesday before the vet appointment, which made Wednesday "Off Day One", which is why it was technically on schedule when she spit-up on Thursday, day two.
There were a couple of things though that gave me pause; one of course being that she'd had major surgery, but the vet didn't warn about the possibility of it causing or triggering vomiting, but still....
The other was that I'd forgotten there was only one can remaining of her newest food, which she ate Wednesday night - only 3oz., as instructed. But that meant on Thursday I had to give her a packet of some boxed-up food awaiting a return label. It was purchased back when the vet suggested trying grain-free with limited ingredients - and before she said to change to the "Novel Diet".
It was just plain chicken breast with pumpkin in chicken broth (meaning nothing but chicken juices and water), so I thought it would be safe (which makes me a stupid cat owner - or stupid owned-by-a-cat-human). It was only *after* she'd scarfed it down that I remembered the full description of "Novel Diet" which is you don't give them anything they've eaten before. And it was also *after* she'd scarfed it down that I remembered chicken is the first protein cats can develop an intolerance for as they grow older. Yes, I know, I lose even more pet owner - or owned-by-pet points. Anyway, she spit-up three hours later.
Compared to every other episode, this was almost insignificant as it was so little and the same color as the food. Even her yowl was different; it was more of a half yowl/half meow, at which point I picked her up, put her on the ground, stuck a paper towel under her, where upon she obligingly spit-up. She then moved back, sat up and watched me throw it out and test the carpet, which wasn't damp. She then jumped on the bed and took a bath.
It's now technically Saturday (3:00 am) and she hasn't thrown up since Thursday so I'm really hoping she continues in this vein. She now has more cans of the Nature's Variety Instinct, thanks to a friend who picked up a few to tide us over until the larger order, due Wednesday, arrives.
Basically, the next week and a half (from this last Wednesday) is important. If we make it past the the length of time the antibiotic shot lasts (5-7 days) without anti-nausea medication and no vomiting, we may have found the answer, namely the infected teeth and/or food intolerances.
But if the vomiting continues, then, as the doctor said, we move to the next phase; ultrasound and possible exploratory surgery.
Right now I really just want to put some weight back on her and keep her happy.
By the way, as mentioned in several different updates, when we find the problem, and everything's taken care of, if there's money left in the "kitty", I'd be doing refunds (less the fees). Some have already let me know they don't want theirs, but because I'm a positive thinker and thus believe - must believe - that between her new diet and the removal of those teeth, we might have done it. But I still wanted to remind you of the offer and ask that you just let me know that, if we reach that point, you do indeed want a refund. So please drop me an 'e' ASAP!
Thank you all again and don't worry, I'll keep everyone informed as we go through this next week and a half, so keep those good thoughts, and crossed fingers crossed, even if you have to type/text with your toes! And keep spreading the word...just in case.